Tuesday

Spilling the 'Beans' - Peshawari Biryani

Yes, I am finally sharing the recipe I promised here. It's a biryani with an identity crisis. When my sister in law gave me the recipe she called it Peshawari Biryani. Jiggs Kalra makes it with kala chana and calls it Kale Moti Biryani in Prashad. And somewhere on the web it's referred to, rather uncharmingly as, Vegetarian Biryani. A rose by any other name etc. etc...

I made this biryani with kidney beans (rajma) the first time and felt they were too 'beany' for the delicate basmati rice. So this time around I used sprouted moth beans (matki). They complement the rice in taste as well as size. This is in fact one of the best things about the recipe. You can use pretty much any legumes in your pantry without compromising on the taste. The next time I plan to go a step further and combine the beans with fenugreek instead of cilantro.

Where does the casserole come in? I finish cooking the biryani on 'dum' in the oven. But the recommended 'unlayered' serving is a visual treat for parties.

biryani


PESHAWARI BIRYANI
(recipe from my sister in law)
(serves 2-3)
Rice -
1 cup basmati rice
1 tsp ghee/ butter
1" cinnamon, 3 cloves, 3 cardamoms
fried nuts (optional)
Beans -
1/2 cup beans of your choice (garbanzo, kidney, peas etc.)
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
2 tomatoes, peeled and pureed
a handful each of cilantro and mint, washed and finely chopped
1/2 tsp good quality garam masala
salt to taste

Soak beans overnight. Drain and wash the next morning. (Sprout them in a colander if you wish to). Combine with enough water and cook on moderate heat until done. (You can pressure cook the beans as long as they don't turn to mush). Reserve cooking liquid.

Heat oil in a pan. Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and ginger garlic paste. Saute on low heat until combined. Next add herbs and saute until fragrant. Add puree and beans. Stir and cook on medium heat until mixed and dry. Season with salt and continue stirring until the beans lose most of the moisture. Sprinkle garam masala and set aside.

Wash rice in 1-2 changes of water. Drain and set aside. In a sauce pan heat ghee and drop in the whole spices. Add rice, saute for a minute. Add 2 cups of the cooking liquid and bring to a boil. Cover and cook on low heat until rice is done.

For serving spoon rice onto a large platter. Make a well in the centre and place beans. Garnish with fried nuts and serve with a raita.

* Entry for My Legume Love Affair hosted by The Well seasoned Cook
* Trivia of the day - Using beans in cooking speaking
Hill of beans - not worth much
Spilling the beans - divulge a secret
Full of beans - bubbly

Labels:

39 Comments:

Blogger Pooja said...

thats a lovely idea to make peshwari biryani with beans. i love all beans.
thanks for sharing the recipe ashwini :) .

3:25 PM  
Blogger Mythreyee said...

I have never tried adding beans with basmathi. Should try it once. looks awesome.

3:52 PM  
Blogger Nabeela said...

I think I just what I'm bringing to the party ;)

4:14 PM  
Blogger Siri said...

Ashwini The 'Peshawari Biryani' looks amazing!... :))

Siri

5:39 PM  
Blogger vimmi said...

beautiful recipe and pics. looks great

5:39 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Oh, my! An easy biryani. This is lovely, Ashwini. Thank you for joining in and spilling the beans for this great recipe!

6:44 PM  
Blogger Meeta K. Wolff said...

Oh I like this! Easy and different. Lovely!

1:23 AM  
Blogger Sia said...

thats easy-beansy dish. i dont think i have ever had moth beans. i am introduced to many beans after coming here. having spent most of my life in hostels i am used to eating common beans like toor, masoor etc. food blogging surely helped me to learn so many things:)
thank you for this 'dum' recipe:)

2:14 AM  
Blogger FH said...

Comfort food Ashwini, specially in Winter. Looks delcious and great entry too!:)
Sunday is always a Pancake day for us!

6:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds delicious Ashwini! Can just imagine the taste...will surely have to try it soon!

10:31 AM  
Blogger TheCooker said...

My kind of a one-dish-meal!
After drooling over the photos...we'll tuck into the Nabeela's version real soon. Can't wait!

11:35 AM  
Blogger Uma said...

Nice combination. I am definitely going to try this.

12:36 PM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Pooja, Siri, Vimmi - Thanks.

Mythreyee - Garbanzo would work as well. The rice absorbs all the flavor so it tastes great.

Nabby - hee hee

Susan - This was a lovely event. I loved participating.

Meeta - its quite easy. Unlike the usual complicated biryani process.

Sia - See I kept my promise didnt I? Moth beans are not too earthy. The sprouts taste great in curries and pulao. You should try them soon.

Asha - Oh yes, perfect for dreary winters. Every Sunday? Wow.. I love pancakes myself but dont make them that often.

MM - you will love it. Let me know when you try the dish.

TC - :-D

Uma - thanks, let me know how you like it

12:55 PM  
Blogger Viki said...

Hey - try it with masoor. It tastes lovely.

1:00 PM  
Blogger Dhivya said...

Hi first time here...i love briyani..nice and different recipe..will surely try..thanks for sharing

5:10 PM  
Blogger Meera said...

Wonderful Biryani and pictures too, Ashwini. It looks lipsmackingly good.
My mom makes modachya matkicha pullao, but that's different with goda masala and all.

9:12 PM  
Blogger Sia said...

you surely kept ur promise girl:) did u just said sprouts? i am all ears now. i have been sprouting different lentils and beans and experimenting some unusual recipes with them. i cant wait to try moth beans. thanks ashwini. i have included them in my shopping list:)

8:32 AM  
Blogger Rajitha said...

yum! love the way the biryani looks..this is a new recipe..and it is healthier than just rice and veggies...

9:04 AM  
Blogger AnuZi said...

That looks soooo amazing! I'm salivating at work....that cant be good. gotta try the recipe out :o)

2:09 PM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

I want some :) Photograph is beautiful and enticing.

5:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks yummy, and just like Qubuli which we prepare. Will try this too. Thnx for sharing..

www.zaiqa.net

12:52 PM  
Blogger KayKat said...

Yum! I can't wait to try this. I love the idea of using sprouted beans with the rice.

6:54 PM  
Blogger DEEPA said...

fantastice one !!peshwari biryani yummy yummy one!!

9:00 PM  
Blogger Mahek said...

hi
ashwini,
nice recipe ,
i am definitely going to try it, I cook masoor biryani once in a while ,but this is something new and will be tasty too i am sure.

7:07 AM  
Blogger Ramya said...

hi ashwini...
really mouth-watering..
cooking basmati rice in coconut
milk will add more flavour to the dish na..

12:04 AM  
Blogger Anamika said...

Hi Ashwini,

I tried out this recipe recently and it came out really well. This was one of the best rice dishes I have had. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

http://soulkadhi.blogspot.com/2008/03/peshawari-biryani.html

Anaamica

12:55 AM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Anamika, so glad you liked the biryani. Thanks for writing to me about it.

11:53 AM  
Blogger Ramya said...

Hi Ashwini, i too tried this dish,, it was awesome.. i love your blog and ur recipes.. Inspired of u and fellow bloggers i started a food blog..
do Visit my blog, http://welcomehunger.blogspot.com and pass ur comments
Thanks,
Ramya

1:16 PM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Ramya, glad you got around to trying the biryani (if not the kurma!!). And welcome to the blogosphere. Good luck with your blog.

12:09 PM  
Blogger Ramya said...

thank u ashwini:) do visit my blog when u find time..
http://welcomehunger.blogspot.com

11:26 AM  
Blogger maybelles mom said...

this looks wonderful.

8:36 PM  
Blogger Amirhossein said...

Hi
I just saw your blog thought Stumble! and I have too say it's pretty awesome.
I have a blog and I put pictures from all around in it, You can check it out at http://amir97522.blogspot.com
also if you took any interesting picture you can send it to me at amir.eh@gmail.com and I'll put it in my blog in your name;-)

Cheer

10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI.. amazing recipes.. peshwari cuisine is really delicious and mouth watering.. post few more peshwari recipes

3:56 AM  
Blogger yagisan said...

I want to be able to make meal.
I look at this picture and I feel hungry.

3:10 AM  
Blogger Subhie Arun said...

woww..thats grt idea to make biryani with beans...i never had one before..lemme try..thks for sharing

3:50 AM  
Anonymous Rumela said...

Peshawari Biryani!! this is my favorite. I am definitely going to make these tonight Peshawari Biryani dumplings. It must the great to taste too. Yummm.My family is going to love these.

1:36 AM  
Anonymous Sam said...

What a great combination of colors and flavors. Peshawari Biryani looks so amazing! so delicious! Will try it soon. Thanks for sharing the recipe ashwini.

6:28 AM  
Blogger my life and spice said...

Hi, stumbled here by chance, and am glad that I did. I make this rice with all kinds of beans- black eyed, red kidney, pinto, chickpeas, kala chana- you name it. Moth was an entirely new one for me- will definitely try it out.

11:02 AM  
Anonymous Hotels in India said...

Hi,
Nice combination. I am definitely going to try this.

2:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Main Page