Friday

Bittersweet Love - Dill Dosa

Sneaky tactic 1: add leafy vegetable to dal
Sneaky tactic 2: add leafy vegetable to idlis, dosas & parathas
Amaranth, turnip, pumpkin, drumstick, sour greens... I'd see them in the grocery bag, decide I wasn't going to take a bite and then wipe my plate clean! Mothers... they would make impressive politicians no?

If you turned up your nose at the mere mention of dill, remember 'never say never'. These dosas are more like spongy, slightly sweet pancakes that taste only faintly dill-y (somewhere my English teacher is frowning at that line).

By the way sneaky recipes are very flexible so use brown sugar in place of jaggery or increase the amount of dill (as if that's going to happen!)

dillpole

SHAEPI POLE (Sweet Dill Pancakes)
(makes 5-6)
1 cup rice
1/4 cup beaten rice (poha)
1/3 cup coconut, grated
1 cup dill, picked and washed
2-3 cardamom pods
grated jaggery (between 4 tbsps to 1/3 cup depending on taste or brown sugar)
pinch of salt
oil

Soak rice overnight or for a minimum of 3-4 hours. Drain and wash then place in blender. Coarsely chop dill. Add to rice along with washed poha, coconut, cardamom and jaggery. Grind to a smooth paste with just a little bit of water.

Remove in a bowl. Season with salt and mix well. Cover and set aside for 15-20 minutes. Heat a griddle with oil. Pour a ladleful of the batter in the centre. Let it spread into a thick circle.

Cover and cook on moderate heat. Flip over and cook on the other side. Serve hot with a dollop of homemade ghee. Or honey or maple syrup ...

* See sweet and savory dill idlis
* Variations - use jackfruit and cucumber (grated) in place of dill

Labels:

24 Comments:

Blogger Suganya said...

Thats a signature 'Ashwini' shot. There is always something interesting in the background :). Beautiful.

4:16 PM  
Blogger Mythreyee said...

wow! that's a wonderful dish. Looks so tempting. Great recipe. Thanks for sharing a healthy recipe.

4:19 PM  
Blogger TBC said...

Hey Ashwini,
That sounds great... and perfect timing too! I bought some dill a couple of days back, used some and was wondering what to do with the rest. If I'm not feeling too lazy tomorrow, I just might make this. ;-)

6:27 PM  
Blogger Srivalli said...

that picture looks so perfect!...nice dish

12:23 AM  
Blogger Lakshmi said...

I add dill leaves to make rotti, fried rice, etc. Making dosa looks like a good idea. I have dill leaves rotti n rice on my blog too.

1:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! Beautiful Photograph and of course impressive recipe!

9:30 AM  
Blogger evolvingtastes said...

Funny story - I was always oohing and aahing about dill until the day I found out it was just shepu by another name. :-)

11:42 AM  
Blogger Rajesh &Shankari said...

that pic looks so good Ashwini..whatever makes u thhink you dont take good pictures? and yes, the recipe is also new to me..

12:03 PM  
Blogger TheCooker said...

Beautiful picture.
I'll keep mum about shepu :)
Does the coconut and cardamom reduce the dilly-ness?

2:09 PM  
Blogger remya said...

hy yum yum dosa.... sounds grt....

9:51 PM  
Blogger SMN said...

Hey Ashwini, this is a total new dish to me.. thnx for sharing..

10:44 PM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Suganya - it is? Trust you to see a signature which even I am not aware of! Thanks :-)

Mythreyee, Sri, Remya, Smn - Thanks

TBC - come on.. the grinder does the work for you :-)

LG - I love dill in rice too. Will check your blog.

CC - Nice name btw. Thanks and welcome to FFT

ET - oh yes one and same!

Shankari - thanks dear

TC - So you are one of those huh? The dosas taste slightly sweet, slightly bitter

11:46 AM  
Blogger My mom recipes said...

Tell me what do you think http://italian-diet.blogspot.com/

1:19 PM  
Blogger DEEPA said...

Something really new to me ..I have never tried it at home nor tasted it before ..thks for sharing ...

4:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link to the Shaepi Idli; one of m favorites!

Those 'polae' look delectable - will try it the next time we pickup som shaepi!
Thanks for sharing.

11:36 AM  
Blogger Poonam said...

Dill dosas?? Great recipe..

8:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow... what a wonderful dish... Great Recipe...

10:23 PM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Deepa - try it, it tastes delicious

Arun - welcome to FFT. I love dill idlis too, but in our home the dosa was more common.

Poonam, You Food - thanks

12:30 PM  
Blogger Shaheen said...

never tried a dill dosa. but this looks only too inviting :)

12:23 PM  
Blogger Archana Doshi said...

Pefect picture and very apetizing, have to try it out sometime. A perfect recipe for the event I am hosting - I would love for you to send this recipe for my event - ONE DISH MEALS. Check my site or the link below for more details.
http://www.archanaskitchen.com/2008/uncategorized/monthly-one-dish-event-meals/

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ashwini, those dosas looks so spongy and tasty. Quite a unique recipe, and I liked your tweaks too. I like dill and have always added it in dals, must try this one. Cheers!

1:13 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

very dosas. and very nutritious too.

3:54 AM  
Blogger olkor said...

Great colour! Sounds really nice!

10:48 AM  
Blogger John Aadam said...

Making dosa with dill leaves seems to be a good idea. I am going to try this one. If I use coconut chutney with this, will it affect the taste? Anyway thanks for this recipe.

4:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Main Page