Wednesday

So(y), so good - Scrambled Tofu

In one of the magazines I picked up on the flight back home there was a lovely sounding recipe for scrambled tofu. To be honest tofu and I aren't the best of friends. Considering the darn thing is nothing short of a superfood though, I grudgingly send out invitations for dinner now and then.

But first thing in the morning? Could my husband and I prove to be gracious hosts? A closer look and I saw tofu would be accompanied by pesto and mushrooms. Now those I could handle any time of the day. So we had our little brunch party and whaddaya know, a good time was had by all.

This is a great recipe for a vegetarian brunch menu. It tastes so good you won't know you are eating three vegetables (AND tofu)!


tofuscramble

SCRAMBLED TOFU WITH PESTO
(adapted from Food & Wine, January'08)
(serves 2-3)
2-3 fingerling or small new potatoes, scrubbed and peeled
1 cup mushrooms, thickly sliced
1 1/2 cups firm tofu, drained, patted dry and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1/4 cup roasted red pepper, sliced*
shredded cheese (omit for a vegan version)
2 tsp prepared pesto
salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

Cook potatoes in boiling water until tender. Drain and slice 3/4 inch thick. In a large non stick skillet heat oil until shimmering. Add potatoes and cook over medium heat until lightly browned.
Add mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and cook stirring occasionally until browned. Add roasted pepper and tofu. Season again lightly. Cook, stirring and lightly mashing tofu until all ingredients are well combined.

Top with pesto and cheese. Stir to melt cheese. Transfer to a plate and serve with crusty bread.

* If you don't have roasted red pepper omit or saute fresh bell pepper instead. But it is a handy thing to have - adds great flavor to sandwiches, pastas or salads.
* This goes to WBB - Soy hosted by Rajitha of Hunger Pangs

CLICKETY CLICK
This month's Click focuses on the ever challenging theme of liquids and one of the judges is none other than yours truly. Which is ironical because I steer away from photographing them (it's capturing the right light but NOT getting the reflection that brings me to tears) So go on and click away. I'd love to get some pointers.

Labels:

22 Comments:

Blogger Mansi said...

Looks healthy hearty and delicious Ashwini! and so colorful too:)

btw, I'm hosting an event this month..would be great if your highness could send in something:) details on my blog:)

3:44 PM  
Blogger Latha said...

Wow looks delicious Ash! Have u tried Ma Po Tofu at PF Chang's - thats the onyl tofu dish i enjoy (an dmaybe the vegetarian lettuce wraps that have tofu in them). Looks like this is one more dish i would like!

3:50 PM  
Blogger DK said...

I have made something similar to that..It tastes Yummy

8:31 PM  
Blogger Suganya said...

Because I have tofu in many curries and salads, I have never tried scrambled tofu, in spite of its high claims. Pesto is surely a nice idea. Thanks for the nudge, will try. All the best judging Click. You be good to us :D

10:17 PM  
Blogger sunita said...

Ashwini, that looks lovely and is surely tempting me to try ...all the best, judging :-)

4:49 AM  
Blogger Kamini said...

This looks nice.. always looking for new ways to cook this superfood..

7:45 AM  
Blogger FH said...

Almost looks like Eggs, don't they? Good one!:)

8:17 AM  
Blogger Rajesh &Shankari said...

pesto & tofu - anytime of the day!

10:43 AM  
Blogger Vanamala Hebbar said...

Nice entry ... its new for me !!

11:14 AM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

Excellent! This would be nice with paneer instead of the tofu too right?

11:25 AM  
Blogger bigfish_chin said...

Hi, this is the Shi-Quan Tofu we usually have in the Chinese Restaurant here in Malaysia too.
Thanks for Sharing~ look really delicios!
Hope u don mind i added you in my list.

7:26 AM  
Blogger FH said...

Ash, just came here to thank you for what you said in my last post "Don't sweat the small stuff".
I was teetering on edge struggling with 100+ comments, replying and 50+blog visits every day. When I read your comment(I have the book too!), it really made me think.
Instead of making it a private blog, I just took out the comment section and stopped commenting on all blogs from today, made me realize I WAS sweating the small stuff!:D
I am happy now and will keep on posting my stuff whenever I can with pleasure and without any pressure, will happily cook for few events too! Thank you!:))

12:24 PM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Mansi - highness? :-D I will order my ministers to check the event out. Hopefully I"ll be able to make something

Latha - No I haven't... but I have wanted to try Ma Po Tofu since I saw Nupur's post. Always on the lookout for great tofu dishes

Dhivya - yes it is

Suganya - The pesto and red pepper give it a very Italian kick. Tastes great.

Sunita, Kamini, Asha, Shankari, Vanmala - thanks

Cynthia - yes, with eggs to for that matter.

Bigfish - so there is a local specialty? I will drop over to check your blog. Thanks

Asha - I am so glad to see you are going to enjoy "blogging" again. I think sometimes we get too hung up over the wrong things. Your last post sounded so stressed out and this is just the beginning of the year! Do whatever you need to but keep posting your wonderful recipes :-)

1:42 PM  
Blogger DEEPA said...

Awesome ...and very delicious and color looks great...Mouthering ..Could eat with any thing .Yummy One..

6:28 PM  
Blogger Pooja said...

Really a nice idea, I just love it Ashwini !
thanks for sharing such a healthy dish. Picture is awesome !
-Pooja

9:39 AM  
Blogger AnuZi said...

Fellow konk chica here. Bhari layak assa! Wonderful recipe and an awesome blog...I've been stalking your blog for a while and reproduced some of your recipes. I have also added you as a link in my blog. Please stop by and visit sometime: http://anuzi.blogspot.com/
Maggiri melyaa :o)

10:06 AM  
Blogger Rajitha said...

love the tofu recipe...i eat tofu scramble at least once a week..this will definately be tried!!

11:56 AM  
Blogger Sagari said...

looks delecious ashwini very healthy recipe

12:24 PM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Deepa, Pooja, Sagari - thanks

Rajitha - great choice for WBB. Loved participating.

Anuzi - heeey! Tuka recipes avadle karna maak bare disle. Will definitely stop by your blog.

1:20 AM  
Blogger KayKat said...

Mmm ... tofu ... that's hot on my plate right now :)

I did something quite similar last week, except I shredded the tofu: Tofu Salad

Can't wait to try your version!

1:54 PM  
Blogger zlamushka said...

Ashwini,

What a fabulous dish. Who would think that such a simple stir-fry can look this seducing...

6:25 AM  
Blogger Laavanya said...

What a delicious and different tofu scramble. Pesto and potatoes must make it very hearty. Looks great Ashwini.

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Main Page