Friday

Simply sweet - Gulpohe

I have mentioned before how my cousins and I would spend almost every summer vacation at my grandparents' house in the Konkan. When I look back I realize how overworked and thoroughly hassled the women of the house must have been, cooking for 12+ people all day. Continually hungry people I might add ;-)

Gulpohe was the standard feature on the breakfast table then. It doesn't require any cooking (yes really) and can be made for a large number of people with ease. I have wonderful memories of sitting around a long, noisy table in an old kitchen; sunlight streaming in through the windows, eating gulpohe while my aunts bustled to and fro from the kitchen. My biggest worry at the time was whether it would be my 'den' for the next game of hide and seek. Sigh... those were the days.

Gulpohe is an appropriate dish for this month's JFI hosted by Kay. There is nothing else to the dish except jaggery - elegance in simplicity.

gulpohe1

GULPOHE/ KALAILE PHOV (Beaten rice with jaggery)
(serves 1-2)
1 cup thin poha (beaten rice)
1/4 cup jaggery or to taste
1/4 cup grated coconut
2 cardamoms, peeled and powdered
4-5 cashews & raisins (optional)
a pinch of salt

Grate jaggery. Mix with coconut, cardamom and salt.

Add poha and mix gently. Lightly sprinkle water over the mixture until it softens.

Cover and let sit for a few minutes so flavors can blend. Toss in cashews and raisins if using.

Serve at room temperature.

Entry for JFI # Jaggery hosted by Kay of Towards a better tomorrow

Tags:

22 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa !! Cooking for 12+, Kudos to all the women of your house.
I never used to like this when I was a kid but now I just love this for two reasons 1. Being its simplicity and 2. I dont have to cook ;)
Mom soaks poha in water but your method of think sprinkling water is a brilliant idea.

10:20 PM  
Blogger Viji said...

Very nice. We call it Vella Aval. Nice photo. Viji

10:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ashwini,I have tasted this one.This used to be a common item for naivedya(offering to god) for Lord Ganesh in our school when I was in primary school.I did not like it much then,but now I do like it.Nice recipe.Thanks for sharing,and more importantly,bringing back memories.:)

9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Ashwini, it's so easy and delicious! Elegance and simplicity indeed. Thanks for sharing the dish and the story... could almost see you all sitting there in sunlit kitchen :)

10:18 AM  
Blogger FH said...

I have eaten this before in M'lore,ofcourse long time ago in India!Tastes great.Wonderful entry:)

3:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ashwini ,very authentic and easy to do sweet also great picture as always...

5:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So simple yet elegant! Loved your entry, Ashwini. We prepare a similar version with murmura.

6:16 PM  
Blogger Meena Kandlakuti said...

easy and delicious..thanks for sharing ashwini.

12:44 AM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Priya - thanks. You know we followed the soaking method too. I learnt the sprinkling water tactic from my m-i-l. I think the texture is better with this preparation.

V, Vini, Asha, Anon, Indira, Meena - thanks

Linda - thanks. Yes this one is quite close to my heart :-)

12:44 PM  
Blogger Vaishali said...

We used to have a similar situation at my Mamas' place in summer vacations, Ashwini. To make things worse, we started swimming in the morning. We used to come home at around 11 a.m. all famished and tired. Oh, how my Mamis used to run all over the place. Life used to be so much simpler then...
I wish they knew about this dish, though. Things would have definitely become easier for them. :)

12:55 PM  
Blogger Shah cooks said...

wowy! i am always amazed by the simplicity of your recipes. that looks so much like poha. thats my breakfast tomorrow, or my snack. wonderful photo. what time of the day do u take it? i have lost all the daylight now.

5:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yum

7:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YUMMMMMM.......

7:15 PM  
Blogger Menu Today said...

Hi Ashwini,
I like this very much. We make during Krishna Jayanthi. Great pic.Perfect Entry for JFI. Thanks for sharing.

7:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This one is easiest and most favourable poha sweet I get to make often,Ashwini,your pic looks good.

8:07 PM  
Blogger Anjali Koli said...

Ahswini gul pohe is distributed as prasad along with dahi pohe on Gokulashtami day in my village Thal. I have not been fortunate to experience it there but Mom would make it for us in Mumbai. I guess it was her way of keeping her memories of childhood alive.

10:01 PM  
Blogger Mythreyee said...

very authentic and thanks for the recipe. looks wonderful.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Vaish - poor mamis!! Always good to have no cook recipes in your kitty with several children around

Shaheen - let me know how you like it. I get intermittent sunlight so I take photos when I can. Usually early in the morning

Anon, MT, Lera, Mythreyee - thanks

Anjali - gulpohe is quite common as prasad - Ganesh chaturthi, Gokulashtami etc. Dahipohe is another yummy dish btw ;-)

11:38 AM  
Blogger Krithika said...

We call it vella aval. What a simple delicious dish ! Great JFI entry

9:07 PM  
Blogger Mandira said...

Ashwini it looks delicious. I made something similar for Jihva. The picture looks amazing :)

9:46 AM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Krithika, Mandira - thanks

10:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice and authentic recipe.
Nice pic.
Thx for sharing!

3:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Main Page