Saturday

Laguna Beach and a Date Shake

It all started when I caught the tail end of a show on Food Network last week. The host (I think her name was Rachel but I can't be sure :-), went eating around Laguna Beach for under $40. All I saw of this sojourn was her check for the day - enchilada, blah, blah, DATE SHAKE, $39.82. The words practically jumped at me. I had to try the shake rightaway. That strangely enough, happens to me often. One would think between cooking, writing a food blog and reading other food blogs, I wouldn't still think of food. But no, I do.

Most of the recipes I came across used a combination of vanilla ice cream and milk. I made a low calorie version using vanilla yogurt and the shake was still delicious. It's creamy and not too sweet, just perfect for a mid day energy boost.

So I drank it sitting in my kitchen looking out at gray skies and bare trees instead of a sandy beach with the wind in my hair, but I still loved it!

shake

DATE SHAKE
(makes 2-3 glasses)
1/2 cup low fat vanilla yogurt
4-5 dates, pitted and coarsely chopped
1/4 cup cold milk
a pinch of ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
finely chopped almonds to garnish, optional
ice cubes, optional

Combine dates, yogurt, milk and extract in a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Add cinnamon and ice if using. If the shake seems too thick adjust consistency with milk. Pulse for two-three minutes. Top with almonds and serve cold.

* Sprinkle a little flour/ fine sugar on dates while chopping so they do not stick together in a lump
* You can also use homemade yogurt; just increase the amount of extract. Or better yet use vanilla ice cream for a sinfully delicious version!

Tags:

26 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha! YESSSS! "Laguna Beach" are my magic words!
The shake looks kickass yum.

4:53 PM  
Blogger Luv2cook said...

Ashwini:

Ditto here. I watched Rachael Ray sip that date shake and that has been on my mind EVER since. I even went and bought the dates as I ran out. I am going to make it too.

I am almost the same way - I kind of think about food all the time. I dream about food too ALL THE TIME. Couple of nights ago, I had a dream that I had cleaned out my freezer. I woke up the next day and had to check out the freezer to see if it indeed was. But it was just a dream. LOL...

1:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wah wah! a shake with dates for this summer ,can't think of anything better than this....for now :)

9:45 AM  
Blogger lost in thoughts said...

Looks yummy ! Love anything with dates...with the vanilla yogurt or icecream must be YUM - O :)

10:40 AM  
Blogger BDSN said...

Shaki shake shake...haha..well picture looks like wonderful..i lov the shells in the background...

10:43 AM  
Blogger Annita said...

I was looking for a Date shake recipe..Thanks fo this one

10:26 PM  
Blogger sailu said...

Nice recipe and my son is fond of dates and one more to my 'must-try' list.

11:37 AM  
Blogger GourmayMasala said...

Wow. This recipe sound amazing... refreshing!

3:25 PM  
Blogger reshma said...

she sells sea shells on the sea shore sipping date shake - cool presentation:)

7:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I vote for the one with vanilla ice-cream!

11:04 PM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Trobee, Luv2cook, Lera, SH, BDSN, Sailu, GM and Anita- Thanks. It is indeed yummy! Never thought of making a date shake, am so happy I did :-)
Santhi - Aaarrrgh, no fair!
Reshma - Haha ggod one. didnt think of the shake in this way. Thanks!
Manisha - I do too, but sometimes I try to be a good girl :-(

11:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That's a super duper yummy shake. I'm gonna shake it up too.

3:14 AM  
Blogger Vineela said...

Hi,
I never tried dates shake.
thanks for recipe. i wil try it and post.
vineela

12:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yummmm. The shake looks good! Love the little pink umbrella and the shells - lovely touch for those of us caught in this midwest blah winter/spring transition phase.

6:23 PM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Pushpa and Vineela - let me know how you like it
SH - isnt it just boring. I thought if I used sea shells I could at least pretend it was summer :-)

9:11 PM  
Blogger Kitchenmate said...

Hey buddy, i tried this and it was so yummy. Thanks for sharing this recipe.
I tried with vanilla icecream with a pinch of cinnamon, it was deadly.

10:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i will try this, i like ........these shakes, have to try

8:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry thata last comment was from myrasoi.blogspot

8:11 AM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Kitchenmate - woohoo, I am glad you liked it. I love the vanilla icecream one too! I also froze the shake and served it as dessert. It was a hit too :-)
Myrasoi - let me know how you like it

10:57 AM  
Blogger Meeta K. Wolff said...

I finally managed it on your blog! Phew!
This shake really shakes, baby. I am entertaining this weekend so I think I will try this out on the guests ;-)

Your pics are great too!

I just made some great EASY paranthas that you might want to check out.
What's For Lunch Honey?

Would love your feedback on that!

My other blogs:

The Daily Tiffin
The Family Buzz

5:14 AM  
Blogger sailu said...

Wishing you and your family a very happy Ugadi,Ashwini.

8:21 AM  
Blogger lost in thoughts said...

Ashwini,

Tula suddha Gudipadavachya shubhechchya :)...

Sonali

12:00 PM  
Blogger KA said...

Date shake!! I love the idea. I am a huge fan of dates. This joins my must try list.

12:13 PM  
Blogger Vaishali said...

Hi Ashwini,
I am totally into shakes. I end up making at least two on weekends for the long, lazy brunches. I must try your recipe out. I wonder whether we get flavoured frozen yoghurt here in Germany, otherwise vanilla ice-cream is always there.
Btw, please check out my blog when you have the time.
www.happyburp.blogspot.com
Thanks.

3:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ashwini, what's up? are you on a blogging break??

cheers!

8:00 AM  
Blogger Admin said...

Long time no post???

11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Main Page