Monday

Poetic Eggcellence - Masala Toast

Ah Egg! could thou and I whip up
A delicious meal for evening sup
Would not we have our guests sigh - and say
The golden toast is never enough!


toast2

Such literary slaughter! But never you mind, its for a blog event. I first heard of the EoMEoTE event (End of the Month Egg on Toast Extravaganza, phew) through Nupur's blog. One look at this month's theme and I went straight to the crate in the fridge. Poetry!

I made what is commonly called French toast in India. I have no idea why since the original French toast is nothing like this spicy version. Fusion at its best perhaps?

The verse above is a parody of 'The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam' - a poem I chose because it has fond memories attached to it. My best friend and I were really hooked on to this Persian gem during our college years for some reason. Its a lyrical, plain poem that appealed to our young minds I suppose.

MASALA TOAST
(serves 2-3)
6 white or brown bread slices
3 eggs
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1-2 tsp red chilli powder or 1 green chilli chopped fine
1/2 tsp ginger-garlic paste
1/2 tsp pepper
some finely chopped cilantro
grated parmesan or any other cheese
salt to taste
oil for frying

Whisk the eggs with all the spices, herbs and cheese. Season to taste. Heat a skillet with olive oil. Dredge a bread slice in batter and shallow fry on moderate heat till golden brown.

Drain excess oil on absorbent paper. Serve with ketchup or chutney.

*For an eggless version, make a batter of chickpea flour (besan) and spices; use cumin-coriander powder instead of cheese.

PS: For those who are interested, here is the original verse (a translation by Edward Fitzgerald) -
Ah Love! could thou and I with Fate conspire
To grasp this sorry Scheme of Things entire,
Would not we shatter it to bits -- and then
Re-mould it nearer to the Heart's Desire!

Tags:

26 Comments:

Blogger sailu said...

All I can say simply eggcellent!

12:44 AM  
Blogger Cyndi said...

Nice! Great job on the poem, and the recipe looks tasty!

12:04 AM  
Blogger reshma said...

you have dovetailed rubaiyat with eggs!Love them, eggs and Rubaiyat!!!

1:38 AM  
Blogger Kay said...

Wow! For those who can french toast because it's too sweet, have an option now!

Looks great!

6:15 AM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Cyndi and Kay - Thanks! The Indian version is indeed tasty.
Reshma - eggs and poetry - could two things get along better? :-)

8:13 AM  
Blogger Nupur said...

wah wah ashwini...bahut khoob and all :)
:) Love that french toast...I personally love the savory version much much better than the sweet one.

10:04 AM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Thanks Nupur, hee hee! I love this version too. Indians are so funny in this manner arent they? We like Indo-Chinese better than Chinese and our version of the French toast better than the original!

10:45 AM  
Blogger BDSN said...

Wow Ashwini...

Simply Wonderful!!That's all i can say!!!!

11:00 AM  
Blogger anu said...

Great Job Ashwini! Keep them coming :-)

9:20 AM  
Blogger Shilpa said...

Hi ashwini,
your way of blogging is very nice. though i put recipes, i still have to learn to frame such nice posts.
BTW.. today morning i tried the same recipe. I was just experimenting on french toast. so was surprised when i read it now on your blog. may be we both think the same ;).
Shilpa

11:32 AM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Anu - thanks. you have started great too!
Shilpa - you are so kind. And modest - bcoz I think you write well too. Btw if you made the same dish, it means great minds think alike :-)

8:41 AM  
Blogger BDSN said...

Hi Ashwini..

I tried your recipe and worked out gr8..Very easy to make and also plenty of taste..Definitely a keep in my recipe book...Thanks for posting it and pls do post more simple recipes like this...

8:49 AM  
Blogger Meenal Mehta said...

at the risk of sounding cliche and so very unoriginal iam going to say egglicious:-)

3:42 AM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

So glad you joined us for the first time! The spice French toast sounds superb and the Rubaiyat is always good to hear. A loaf of bread, a box of eggs and thou...

2:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This would make a kickin' brunch dish! Yum! And I love the story about the afternoon of poetry ... what a beautiful memory surrounding these magical words!

10:59 PM  
Blogger Tee said...

Hey Ashwini, tried your recipe yesteday. Awesome. Thanx.

2:30 PM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Aah that would explain a few things. Thanks ru-vie!

10:25 AM  
Blogger Shital said...

Thanks for sharing that receipe.

Everyone in my house (my husband and daughter) love it. Instead of frying, i just toast in 1 tsp oil, that also taste good. Sometimes, I just sprau some olive oil and put in the oven and turn it around after one side turns brown. Grilling also is a good idea. This could be useful for weight conscious people

7:19 PM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Shital, oh yes. Grilling is a great idea, will give it a shot next time

8:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great stuff..do join my blog..Me a cook as well..hope i won't disappoint you..See ya Ash

2:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Indian cuisin

WWW.MASALA-DESI.CJB.NET

1:39 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It..was..fantabulous !! I really loved it and the best part was when i finished cooking it i cut out the breads in small cube shape... n the i made an omlette of the rest batter..n the taste was amazing !

5:47 AM  
Blogger Shella said...

Anything to do with eggs is simbly eggcelend.

Gorgeous looking toasts.

5:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tried this out just now. Turned out very well. Did not take more than 10 min! Healthy, sumptuous, quick DINNER for me!

Just a feedback, why don't any of the comments show dates (but show just time)? It will be nice to be able to see dates also.

9:26 PM  
Blogger Tototo said...

Hi,

i am a new blogger.I cook a sweeter version of this toast usually.This is a nice variation.A spicy one. your collection is great and nice.

I have started putting my collection too...

Toto
Guide to Indian Recipes

4:13 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love and cook Indian food all the time...I didn't love this one. I was willing to eat it, but I won't make it again. The flavors contradict: maybe take out the cheese and add garam masala?

9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Main Page