Saturday

The right start - Taushe Dhodak

Growing up, Sundays were special for two reasons - first was an elaborate breakfast and second was the non vegetarian lunch. I used to wake up to the smell of breakfast cooking and then spend almost half of the day eating, I think!

One of the really popular breakfast food was 'thalipeeth'. They are hand-rolled flat breads usually made of a combination of flours (called bhajanee) - jowar, bajra and besan with some spices thrown in for flavor. Thalipeeths are roasted with a liberal dash of ghee and served with home made butter and chutney.

In the Konkan thalipeeths are made with semolina and are called 'dodak'. The dish holds a special place in my heart as it was my favorite breakfast growing up and it was what my mother in law made on my first morning in my new home. I like to think it made the transition to a new family a little easier to see the familiar sight of a hot thalipeeth with a dollop of slowly melting butter in the center!

dhodak

TAUSHE DODAK (Cucumber Pancakes)
(makes 4-5)
1/2 cucumber, peeled and grated (optional)
2 cups semolina (rawa)
1/2 onion, chopped fine
2-3 green chillies, chopped fine
1/4 cup coconut, grated
2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped fine
water
salt to taste
oil for frying

Mix cucumber, onion, cilantro, chillies and coconut with the semolina. Add salt and mix into the dough. Add water to make a semi solid dough (more watery than chapati dough but not as runny as dosa batter). Don't knead too much.

Heat a non stick pan. Drizzle a teaspoon of oil over it. Take a golf ball sized dough in your hand and place it in the centre of the pan. Spread the dough into a circle using your fingers. Dip your fingers in water to help with spreading. The disc should be even and not too thick.

Spoon oil along the sides of the dodak and cover with a lid. Remove after a minute or when the top appears dry. Turn over and fry on the other side. The dodak should get a couple of brown patches. Serve with butter or chutney.

KOTHMIR CHUTNEY (Cilantro-Coconut Chutney)
2 cups cilantro
1/2 cup grated coconut
2-3 green chilles
a few slivers of raw mango or a walnut size ball of tamarind
salt
Blend all the ingredients with a little water. Your chutney is ready!

This is my entry to Meena's FMR breakfast event.

Labels:

24 Comments:

Blogger sailu said...

This really is my kind of food..thanks for sharing winnie..great entry..:)
I have you linked to my blog..if its alright with you.

9:03 AM  
Blogger Swamy VKN said...

Wow Ashmini! One of our favorites too.

2:50 PM  
Blogger Sury said...

This sounds so yummy! And not that hard to make either. I can tell why it would hold a special place in your heart, Ashwini. Thanks for sharing the recipe :)

10:01 AM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

I am so glad you all liked it. And yes its not difficult at all.

11:47 AM  
Blogger Tina Jennifer D'Silva said...

Hi Ashwini... Visiting your blog for the first time. Awesome breakfast. I am surely gonna try it out & yes.. adding you to my blog too...

2:04 PM  
Blogger bilbo said...

hey aswini,
thanks for visiting my blog and appreciating it.
Loved your b'fast post and it did bring back memories.
Do u mind If I link you?
Take care

5:25 PM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Thanks Bilbo. Like to read about your culinary adventures in Japan too (one of my must-go places btw). I don't mind you linking me at all :-)

5:51 PM  
Blogger GourmayMasala said...

Ashwini,

This is a great breakfast item with rawa. I bet it beats upma! Must give it a try. Thanks.

9:07 AM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Hi Garam masala, it makes a great change from the usual dishes.

9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ash this blog is simply awesome. I think it's different, cool and not the run-on-the mill types at all. I am so excited to see you write these receipes. This sight is a must see for somebody like me who i think even at 60 will be an amateur cook...not anymore though!
you saved me from a lot of boredom of thinking everytime what do i cook today?
love always
rupee.

8:54 PM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Rupali, thanks for the fulsome praise sweetheart! I am glad you like them. Come on over, I want to cook for you!!!

9:38 PM  
Blogger Krithika said...

I want to try this. I have a question to ask. When do I add grated cucumber ?

9:52 AM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Ha K!! thanks so much for bringing that to my notice :-)
Add the cucumber with the onion, chillies etc. Let me know how you like it if you give it a try

11:03 AM  
Blogger Mahek said...

ashwini
i saw this recipe today and you know "me hya recipe sathi khoop diwas thambale hote,my tausali karate pan dosa or bhakri type madhe kele nhavate"
thanks
i will try this and let you know.
bye

2:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey..I tried out this recipe next and they turned out really nice and crisp. My hubby loved them as well. Ive not really liked dhadaks as a kid but this was a nice reintroduction back again after years.

5:34 AM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

They are a bit hard to roll but turn out quite tasty don't they?
Glad you and your hubby liked it

12:55 PM  
Blogger yum said...

Wow, I finally tried these and they were excellent! I used zucchini. Can we also use dosakai?

8:51 PM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Hey yum glad you liked them. Dosakai is malabar cucumber right? Yes absolutely - just make sure the batter isnt too watery.

9:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ashwini ,
This would be a great breakfast, i want to make it.... can i prepare the dough at night and make the pancakes in the morn? Would that make it sour? Thanks

12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ashwini.... i tried making the pancakes... it was a bit difficult to roll out but was fine... can you tell how long should it be on the pan such that it is well cooked.... some pacakes i made turned out a bit uncooked n chewy, can you tell where could i be wrong also can i use besan to make these as well? Thanks for sharing
Neetu

2:34 PM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Neetu I dont think the batter can be made in the night...you are right - it would be too sour.

The pancakes should be fried till they get a few brown patches on them and the edges look a bit crisp. Traditional marathi thalipeeth have besan in them along with other flours. Cucumber wouldnt work in that though. Alternatively you can make chillas. See moong dal chillas for an idea. Good luck

3:00 AM  
Blogger K.Boy said...

May 8, 2007
Today I made HYBRID Masala Dhodak (Wheat Rava Bhakri) using combined all ingredients of Ashwini’s Taushe Dhodak and Shilpa’s Masala akki rotti. Added couple of tea spoons of sugar also. Came out great tasting and soft with about half inch thick layer spreading initially with flat bottom cup(idli donno) rather than pressing with fingers. I think softness comes with soyee (grated coconut) and taushe (used regular cucumber, using Persian cucumber comes out still softer ). Remaining dough I saved it in the refrigerator for next two three days for breakfast. Rather than eating serials everyday, I believe we Konkanis have same type of wheat and rice products and more natural. I wish these type of Internet recipes availability could have started 15-20 years ago. But then India was not cranking out that many IT graduates and not too much outsourcing.
I have still not started taking pictures yet, may be one of these days. I am like most hubbys, enjoy tasting and eating, only thing is I don’t bug my other half (maska baajee), but just do it myself and my suceess rate is usually 30-40 %; of course I do not mind cleaning dishes which most of the wives hate to do.
Thanks to both of you Shilpa and Ashwini again!

12:49 AM  
Blogger Aruna said...

Ashwini, I was browsing ur blog & I was dumstuck looking at the pics!!! It is screaming for me to try it out :-)

BTW what kind of rava did u use here, the fine kind or the chiroti Rava ?

themistressofspices.wordpress.com

2:38 PM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Vastevu - so glad you liked dodaks. Thanks for telling me about it.

Aruna - thanks for the compliment. I used medium rawa. Fine rawa also works well for dodaks. Good luck

5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Main Page